Hello for another quick Friday post as well as the first day of October, which has got me in a good mood given this is one of my favorite months for probably obvious reasons given the fact that I'm inclined to draw creepy things. The past few days have been a bit hectic in terms of what's going on for me outside of art-related stuff, but I still have a few quick things I can talk about.

First, there are my regular timed drawing practices that I'm still managing to do everyday in sessions that are malleable around how much free time I have in a given day. One thing that I notice while doing these practice sessions daily is that there are just some days that turn out worse than others for whatever reason. It can be a bit difficult to pinpoint what exactly causes these fluctuations in quality/ease, but I try to not let such things get me down and starting thinking that I'm regressing or whatever. I try to remember that not all days will be ones in which we are working at our best, and I also try to look on the positive side of possibly-disappointing results by acknowledging that, at end of the day, I still got some practice in that I can learn from in terms of what is working out for me and what I need to work harder at in tomorrow's practice. On top of that, I will often look out for least one sketch in a set that I like and that I think points to me being on the right track somewhere.

A sketchbook page with ten quick pen sketches of people in various poses and costumes.

On to other work, I'm also continuing to fill in my page of little pieces depicting the Female Cenobite from the first two Hellraiser films. Given my busy schedule, I only managed to get in one ballpoint-pen drawing based on a still from the first film on a sticky note, but I quite like how this little thing turned out as ended up having a kind-of calm and relaxed expression to her that contrasts well with the previous little drawing of her that I did in which she took on a more snarling expression. In addition, I also tried coloring around her by using an ultra-fine-tip marker rather than the regular fine-top ones, and I liked how the vertical hatching motions I did created an interesting texture and look with the slivers of white appearing through the pale blue. I'll have to keep this technique in mind for when I want to add some color around drawings without resorting to a flat laying-down of color.

A ballpoint pen drawing of the Female Cenobite from the 1987 film 'Hellraiser' as she is looking down.

Finally, another page that I had some fun doing was one in which I once again drew inspiration from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and this time, I felt like doing some drawings based off of that game's Water Temple since I was actually listening to this temple's theme music for background noise while trying to figure out what to draw, which led to me just drawing the Temple's main central structure in a few different ways. For two of the drawings, I drew what I could recall from memory, which is how I ended up drawing the central structure more resembling a Japanese pagoda. Turns out, I was more remembering a beta design for said Temple from when I randomly watched a video or about this game in it various beta stages of development. For the next two drawings, I actually referenced images from the game itself, which gave me one chance to kind of practice with depicting water some more. Overall, this was a fun and easygoing page to fill up that has given me another mental note of what I can turn to when I can't think of something else to draw.

A sketchbook page with four drawings depicting the central tower structure in the Water Temple from 'The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.'

Well, I believe that's all to say for these past few days, so until next Tuesday when I can do another roundup to talk about, thanks for reading, stay safe, and have a pleasant weekend.


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more