Has your pet ever done anything to cause you to lose your trust in him or her?

Thomas L. Johnson

answered by Michelle Clark Miller, Pet owner for over 50 years

This is Angus. He swiped an entire rotisserie chicken off the top of the stove, ate it so completely and quietly that we had no idea what he had done until I got back from an errand and asked my husband where the chicken was.

Me: Honey, did you put the chicken back in the oven?

Hubs: No, it's on the stove.

Me: No, it's not.

Hubs: Are you sure?

Me: ……really?

Hubs: Huh…look in the microwave.

Me: (peeks)…No. You sure you didn't put it in the oven?

Hubs: I don't think so, but maybe I did and don't remember. (we're in our 50s and he did a lot of drugs in his youth.)

He gets up and comes into the kitchen. We both look into the oven, and check the microwave again. (Why? I'm still trying to figure that out.)

Me: Where's Angus?

I look and there's Angus, under the table. Chin on his front paws, wagging his tail. I swear, if he had a halo, it'd have been glowing.

MeYOU LEFT IT UNATTENDED WITH ANGUS IN THE HOUSE?!

Hubs: Nah…right off the stove? AN ENTIRE CHICKEN?

Me: …….really?

So, we proceed to search the house. Surely, a dog couldn't eat an entire rotisserie chicken without leaving some traces, right? I mean, it wasn't a small chicken. We checked his favorite spots…the computer room, our daughter's bed, the bathroom.

No greasy spots, no stains, nothing.

No chicken.

Hubs: He's gonna have…well…he's gonna be sick.

Me: Probably. But I'm more worried about the bones.

So off I go to the internet. I google, "My dog ate an entire rotisserie chicken."

Evidently, it's quite common, over 10 pages of results.

So many conflicting opinions, so I called my vet.

After he laughed, (Angus is nefarious…the first thing the vet techs ask when they see him is.. "Angus, what did you do now?!") he said, "just keep an eye on him. He should be okay. If he loses his appetite, throws up, or has problems pooping, bring him in."

About an hour later, he exhibited normal plumbing. After his trip outside, he came in and sat down behind his dinner bowl.

The butthead expected his dinner.

Me: "ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!"

Hubs: "Well, at least we know he's ok."

As a result, Angus is not left unattended at dinner time. In fact, he's taught our husky how to counter surf. So, while I make our dinner, they eat theirs, go outside when it's time for us to eat, and they don't come in until leftovers are dealt with.

I'm still trying to figure out how he ate an entire chicken without leaving a single trace of it anywhere. That boggles my mind.

QUORA


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more