RELATED : OBSIDIAN IS A NOTION ALTERNATIVE FOR HARDCORE MARKDOWN USERS
Episode 1: The Basics: Notes and Documents
by Jamie Todd Rubin
Nearly 10 years ago, I began an experiment to see if the elusive paperless office was actually possible. That series, Going Paperless, was my attempt to use Evernote and other tools to go completely paperless. After several years, my conclusion was that it was not really possible for me to go completely paperless. In the years since, I've returned to paper for several things, but still enjoy the efficiencies of having information I need at my fingertips. In examining the lessons I learned from my paperless experiment, I realized that, as with most things, moderation is key. There is a difference between going completely paperless, and looking to be paperless in the practical sense. That is what this series is all about.
Instead of Evernote, I've decided to use Obsidian instead. I've written about why I want to use Obsidian elsewhere, but the gist of it is:
- files are plain text, which makes them essentially future-proof;
- files are stored locally instead of on someone else's server (unless you want to store your files in a cloud system like iCloud, Dropbox, OneDrive, etc.);
- it has a great note-linking function that I will make heavy use of as we progress through this series.
Of course, if you are following along, you don't have to use Obsidian. Evernote still works for much of what I'll be discussing. If you are not going to use Obsidian, you can safely skip the first three episodes of this series, as they focus on setting a kind of baseline with the tool for moving forward through subsequent episodes.
The first 20 episodes in this series build upon one another. I am using them as a guidepost for getting me to where I want to be. The first 3 episodes establish some basics, beginning here with how I plan on storing my notes. A note can be anything, text, a document, and image. When I think about what I want to be able to capture in digital form, I think of notes in two categories: notes and documents.
Notes in Obsidian . .
view original article . .
No comments:
Post a Comment